Friday, June 22, 2007

When did we get so good at penalties?

Remember Italia '90? Or USA '94? Or even France '98? They all brought one conclusion for those of an Azzurro persuasion - it was better if we avoided penalties. Yes, we had great players but it was just that they got a bit shaky when it came to a shoot-out situation.

Well, after what I have witnessed in recent times, I think we can put that to rest - at least for now. Maybe leave it to the English. We won a World Cup final on penalties last summer and last night the Azzurrini booked a place at the Olympics next year after a shoot-out.

If you haven't seen the game, watch it here...

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under21/fixturesresults/round=15091/match=300171/report=rp.html

You can marvel at how on earth Giuseppe Rossi got sent off. It reminded me of Zola getting sent off against Nigeria. What me? I'm the smallest man on the pitch! And also enjoy Graziano Pelle's audacious "cucchiaio". Not one for the amateur, I can assure you.

I also had the dubious pleasure last night of watching Spezia consign Verona to Serie C. On the one hand, it means a cracking derby for Venezian but, on the other, it is a glorious club sinking to depths it had not seen in more than 50 years. Plus I don't like La Spezia for reasons I would rather not go into...

3 comments:

martinobhoy said...

Ginkers

Just about to head out but you may want to edit your article, particularly the bit about Milan winning the Champions League.

The game I watched was 2-1 to Milan after 90 minutes. You should lay off that grappa old pal.

Aussie Romanista said...

Unbelievable how Rossi was sent off. He didn't even foul the player in the first instance. That ref should be crucified.

ginkers said...

Martino

Consider it edited, I think I was thinking back to when they beat Juve...

AR

My thoughts entirely.