Monday, August 21, 2006

Have they taken leave of their senses?

I know that nothing should really surprise me now but just the same I have been taken aback by recent TV reports and stories I have seen on Italian football websites of some repute (and now here, too). There are transfer stories that shock you (Mo Johnston to Rangers), stun you (Luther Blissett to Milan) or just downright make you laugh (Steve Staunton being linked to a Serie A move springs to mind). But my mixture of revulsion, hilarity and disbelief has rarely been so great as when I read...

Milan want to buy Ronaldo

Is this the same tubby-guts, lackadaisical, unimpressive hitman we watched slump out of the World Cup this summer? Apparently so. But why? Why? Why? Why? (Is that enough) do Milan want to sign him? I know they have lost Sheva but this is such a backward step they might as well snap up Gazza, Gunnar Nordahl and Silvio Piola at the same time. Apparently, Inter are even thinking of intervening to spoil their plans. Madness, sheer madness.

Surely a young up and coming striker, maybe even an Italian, would be better than the man who can no longer get off the ground. Or am I being too harsh?

4 comments:

martinobhoy said...

Be careful what you wish for. What if it's Luca Toni they turn their attention to?

Venezian said...

They're going to buy that young Brazilian Sobis instead I think (assuming they qualify for the CL).

They may also attempt a bid for Torres again - Ronaldo is probably not first choice.

I do think they need someone - as much as I love them both, I'm not convinced Gila and Inzaghi can play together.

Spangly Princess said...

yeah I've been wondering about this too. I can only think that milanese telly was on the blink during the world cup and they just watched a few re-runs of 2002 instead.

it's also a sign of declining power in the transfer market, perhaps. after this summer, top names don't much fancy serie a.

ginkers said...

They got through last night so that clears the way to the Ronaldo deal if they really want to do it. Or is it a smokescreen for something else? I do hope so...